Monday, January 9, 2012

Change Your Attitude To Change Your Weight!

Are you interested in losing weight this year?  Is the realization of the goal of being the healthiest, fittest you ever just become a top priority? Do you want to look great and feel great like never before? If you answered yes to any of these questions then the following information is going to be crucial to your success! 

Changing your attitude is the preamble to successful weight loss.   A shift in your attitude must come before the changes to your diet and exercise… or those changes won’t even matter!  This is fact because your attitude is what will dictate your actions and behaviors; it is what will allow you to follow through with your diet and exercise plans.

You see, your attitude is composed of; your thoughts, your feelings and your actions.  Your actions are a product of your thoughts and feelings.  If your goal is to take new action as it relates to diet and exercise, then your attitude must be the first thing to change.

You may not have known it, but you have in your control at all times the ability to choose your attitude; positive or negative.  Regardless of the circumstance, situation or goal; you have within your powers the ability to choose your attitude.  Most people don’t realize the incredible opportunity for control and self-improvement they have.  They merely need to exercise it.  Think of your attitude as the first muscle you need to develop if you want to reach your weight loss goal.  In the beginning of your weight loss journey, exercising your mental muscle is more important then exercising your physical muscles.

Your attitude, if negative, can lead to inactivity or self-sabotage like binge eating.  A positive attitude can lead to seeing all the opportunities; to exercise, eat healthy, talk about health, live in a healthful frame of mind and of course act upon those opportunities towards the new healthy you.

A negative attitude will affect all of you; your mind, feelings and actions.  Here is an example; if you have thoughts of self-doubt, that you can’t lose the weight, those doubts will create feelings of fear, those feelings of fear will lead to anxiety and inactivity.  You will fail to even act or move towards your goal.  Even worse, for many, such feelings of worry and fear can
turn-on poor coping mechanisms; this can lead to binge or emotional eating that will completely sabotage any forward progress!

On the other hand a positive attitude; the belief and faith, that you can and will lose the weight creates a whole different cascade of positive feelings, desirable actions and behaviors.  It is the key to success and the difference between the 5% who do lose all their weight permanently and the other 95% who fail.

Here are some steps you can take to “change your attitude to change your weight.”
  1. Realize that you have the power to choose, either a positive or negative attitude in all situations, including weight loss!
  2. Practice flexing your mental muscle by seeing the good in all situations.  Remember that nothing has any power except for the power you give it.
  3. Write down all of the benefits that you will experience when you lose the weight.  Re-read them daily to keep them in your present mind consciousness, enjoy the feelings that they create.
  4. Write down all of your doubts, fears and what-ifs.  Then on the right hand side of the page; write down the opposite perspective or positive spin on everything that you have written; turn doubts into certainty, turn fears into unwavering beliefs and courage, and erase all what-ifs from your mind.  Re-write only the right side and re-read those every day.
  5. Be aware of your inner-dialogue, realize that you have the power to choose and create empowering self-talk.  Put into place simple steps like outlined in steps 1-4 that create positive self-talk and watch your weight and your life change!

No comments:

Post a Comment